
I'm so proud of my little guy!!!!
****WARNING, THIS IS A LONG EXPLANATION OF WHY****
when he was two, I noticed his vocabulary was not quite where I thought. I kept trying my hardest to not compare him to his big sister, but still he was WAAAAY behind where she had been at that age. When he was 2 1/2 we started him in speech therapy. He had a great therapist who came to the house every week. He made a lot of progress with her and it was wonderful. When he turned 3, he was turned over to the school district. "They" were telling me he would not qualify for help through the district... I was not okay with that and knew he still needed help and I got right in there. Sure enough, once he was tested by the district HE QUALIFIED for help! that was in December of 2008. He started going to preschool and getting therapy 2 times a week in January 2009. This past fall he started going to school 4 times a week. (What an adjustment for me, totally kid-free in the afternoon Monday thru Thursday.) He was still struggling with his "F" sound and had "G" in way too many places. The month of December it was really rough and I was just sure he was going to be in this for the long haul..... After Christmas break we went back to school and...... a light turned on in that kid!!!! He was getting sounds he'd been working on for years! He was moving fast, super fast through all the sounds! It was great!
A couple weeks ago when I was dropping him off, I saw his therapist and she commented on how fantastic he was doing! I replied with "I know!!! I can't believe you haven't kicked him out of here yet?"
.... and last Tuesday I got a letter saying they wanted to re-test him, they did that on Thursday. Guess what he scored??? first off-- he was in the 6th percentile when they very first tested him way back in 2008, and last week he was in the 50th percentile! The head lady therapist was absolutely astounded by his progress, and really in a very short time (mostly since January) She was just thrilled with him and doesn't foresee any problems as he gets into school. ** and for me, as his mom it just makes me so so happy!! for the last couple years all I've done is worry about him & how he would do at school when no one could understand him..
***so... go right ahead, pick up the phone and call Merrick, I'm sure you could have a totally understandable (four year old) conversation!!
So with all of that, today was his last day of preschool!!! We brought pizza and M&M cookies in for snack. I'm sure it was bittersweet for his teachers, I think they are really gonna miss him, but with me they are so proud of him!
... and one last fight over the toys!

..... and one last circle time singing songs!
.... and one last snack time!
** he WILL be going to preschool next year, but a TOTALLY FUN, ALL FUN one with lots of field trips and crafts and no more therapy! just two mornings a week and LOTS & LOTS of "mom time".... it'll be a good thing because, before I know it he'll be off to Kindergarten!




4 comments:
Yay for Merrick!!
How sweet! Good job Merrick! Wow, your kids are getting so old! We will miss playing outside with you guys this summer!
You shouldn't be surprised - he's your son! He was just playing with you for 4 years. He really could talk right all along.
HOORAY! It is great to celebrate the triumphs of life. Keep movin' forward!
Post a Comment